Saturday, June 11, 2022

Sunday morning, the last day!

I got up at 11:25pm last night, 23 hours before our flight out of Nairobi to Frankfurt, Germany.  Lufthansa won't let you do online checkin until that weird hour, all the rest of the airlines I have experience with, it's 24 hours ahead of liftoff. I was happy to see that I had aisle seats on both flights until I realized I was in row 45 on both of them, more than likely a bulkhead seat, meaning you can't lean back.  I was in one of these seats on a three hour domestic trip, never again!  It might be wonderful for your posture to sit bolt upright, but a 9 or 10 hour flight like that would be torture.  I proceeded to get seat 25C and 19C respectively.  I'll be off both planes a little sooner that way.  I have a 4 hour layover in Frankfurt, which is a small blessing.  It's a huge airport and navigating from one end to the other involves several staircases and maybe more than one bus ride.  It will be nice to do it at a leisurely pace for once.

I thought a little more about our "worship" service this morning, in addition to a couple of Scripture readings I have, I'm hoping that the group knows a couple of the simple songs that we sang during our clinic in Waithaka with our volunteers.  And I'll entertain ideas from the rest of the group.  We'll be outdoors in the cool of the morning, praising God in paradise, surrounded by His beautiful creation.  I know it will be a high point for me and hope it is meaningful for the others.

I've got all my luggage out and am preparing to rearrange things to balance the load.  Checked bags can't be over 50 pounds each which is no problem as I left a fair amount of stuff here for Catherine and carried supplies for the clinic that are staying here.  The new Lufthansa limit for carry-on luggage is where I have a problem.  Everything with batteries and electronics must be in this piece and rather than 26 pounds like the other carriers, Lufthansa has an 8 kilogram (about 17.6 pounds) limit.  I have two lenses, one quite heavy, two camera bodies, about 2 pounds of spare camera batteries, my laptop and assorted chargers.  I have an HEB bag with a Velcro top just in case.  If need be, I can move the lenses and laptop to it and use it as my personal item that fits under the seat in front of me, but it'll be a pain.  On the way to Kenya, two of my team members each took a lense for me, making it much easier.  I didn't realize the lighter limit until we were already at the Houston airport.  Ah, the joys of travel! Always another detail.

Well, back to sorting my stuff out.  More to follow before we leave if I have Internet.  Thanks again for everybody's diligence in praying for me and those who were left behin last Tuesday.  I feel great and can't wait to be back in 105 degree Texas heat!  Blessings everyone!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment