Monday, June 6, 2022

Monday happenings at Amboseli

 Five of us did a morning safari from about 6:30am until 1pm today.  Four of the group went with my driver Willie and my good friend Daniel, while I was alone with Simon in his van.  He is an accomplished birder and once again I got over 1400 pictures today.  Early on, we found a pack of 18 Hyenas finishing off what apperared to be a Wildebeest.  There were Jackals and Vultures waiting in line for any leftovers.

I got four lifers today and lots of the usual suspects for both animals and birds.  We were blessed with some closeups of a male and female Lion having a squabble, we think he wanted to go to one of the other females and she wasn't having it!  Some great Elephant pictures, whole families with babies that we very young.  

I've had a cough and cold for the last couple of days, so I took yesterday afternoon off as well as this afternoon and am feeling much better.  It is very dry and dusty here in the mountains, I think it's a reaction to that, I hope it's nothing worse.  We drive back to Nairobi tomorrow, Tuesday morning, and will get rapid Covid tests at the airport around noon in order to leave the country.  Our flight from here to Frankfurt, Germany is at 10:25pm. Please pray that we all test negative, since it's a 10 day quarantine for anyone who doesn't.  From the airport, we will go to Little Daughters and maybe order pizzas and Cokes, they hve the real thing with cane sugar here, and yes, there is a difference! We will shower and get our luggage ready, since we took part of it to the safari and left part at Little Daughters.  Electronics and batteries will need to go in my carry-on, including my laptop, cameras and lenses.  It's always fun evening out the weight from one bag to the next.  We'll have an early dinner with Catherine, her Mom and others before getting to the airport around 7 to clear security and get checked in.

I would highly recommend this game park, there were animals and birds around every corner, it's easier to get to than Masai Mara and I feel our accomodations and food were a little better.  We book our activities when we're in Kenya through Mission Opprtunities, Catherine's travel business.  All drivers, vehicles and lodges are first class at a very good price.  I can put folks in touch with her who may be interested in an adventure like this.

I hope to write some more from the airport before we leave Nairobi tomorrow night. Blessings everybody!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your ministry service. And congratulations on the reward of a safari that followed.

    ReplyDelete