Monday, June 13, 2022

Homecoming in Houston! Yay!

We took off over an hour late from Frankfurt with no explanation.  I’m sure we’ll make up most of that time over the course of a more than 10 hour flight.  I’m waiting for drinks and lunch to be served and then I’ll be napping. The Airbus we flew from Nairobi didn’t recline much. This 747 is roomier and the seats kick back quite a ways.  Much more comfortable,  that’s for sure.  There is a funny glitch on this plane however. The previous flight for it was from Newark and the Flight Info map in the onboard entertainment system got stuck on that. The Captain came on the intercom and joked about it. 
They finally served lunch and it was halfway decent. Pasta with a small salad, a roll and butter and chocolate cake for dessert. I put on an eyeshade and slept for about an hour afterwards. There are still about six hours to go in this final flight.  I’m hoping that now that the Covid test requirement is over that it won’t take too long to get my luggage and clear customs.  I’m going to need some time to take Uber to the bus depot and get checked in there. I’m so glad to finally be getting back to Austin. With one small exception.  I’ve been in paradise for the last 3 weeks.  74 every day, 59 at night with a light breeze.  Not sure I’m ready for the blast furnace just yet! I hope they’ve got a nice air conditioned lobby at the bus depot!
During the last hour of the flight the crew gave some folks hot meals and others,  including me, a “snack”. It was inedible. One lady complained and they brought her a meal.  I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle because the meal didn’t look very good either.
I got to Houston about half an hour late. Immigration only took a few minutes but it took about 40 minutes to get ny luggage.  Another 25 minutes in an Uber got me to downtown Houston to the Residence Inn where RedCoach picks you up. I’ve been making phone calls from the lobby, the manager is letting me sit in here since it’s 97 degrees out. I’ve got another hour before boarding the bus. Glad to be back and I’ll continue to post more stories and pictures for the foreseeable future.  Blessings everyone!


1 comment:

  1. Praise God you made it to Houston safely & hopefully to Austin by now. 🙏

    ReplyDelete