Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Tuesday happenings at the clinic

 It was a much easier start to the day, thanks to the organizational skills of my whole team.  We were smart in the way we put everything away for safekeeping overnight, grouped by each station of the clinic.  On Monday, we had to open every footlocker and figure out what was in it, where it was going, etc while about 50 people were already inside of our building completely blocking everything we needed to do.  I'm glad I took my blood pressure meds yesterday!  As usual, we gathered together with the volunteers and had a brief devotion and sang together.  

Yesterday, I made everybody form a Zebra before we did our afternoon end of the day devotion. I started this years ago when I noticed that even after a day of working together, we all separated into black and white when the group came together.  I started grabbing people, alternating each of us and we all held hands and swayed together as we sang.  Sometimes crazy Dave has a cool idea that works out, it's become one of my traditions and everybody was all smiles.  It's a good icebreaker.

There were people waiting when we arrived at the clinic, but now that we have a little experience as a team and understand more due to the card counting and sorting exercise last night, things got off to a good start.  We got up and running in record time and the whole day was a drip, drip, drip of people.  Tressie had an idea for making the clinic flow better when she wasn't sleeping well overnight and it worked like a charm. We ended up seeing 428 patients and were not half as tired as at the end of the day Monday.

We had our "nice" team meal tonight after a shower.  We met Catherine, her mother and our local missionaries Alison and Billie at Talisman, an upscale restaurant only blocks from Little Daughters.  A good time was had by all and it was so good to see Mama, Catherine's mother.  Ever since Mark's high school graduation in Missouri in 2012, when I was the driver back to Austin for the family, I have been dearly loved by her.  What a blessing to have a second Mama, most of us only get one to a customer.  My team knows I am 70 years old and Mama calls me her baby, so the question naturally came up how old Mama was the year I was born. She's 93, so the math works out fine!

It is a national holiday, Kenyan Independence Day, when they too were finally free from British rule.  We expect to have either a great day (my preference) or not so good as people relax.  I think we'll see more children than usual since they will be out of school.  Time for bed, been a long day and need to get recharged before we do it again!  Blessings everybody and thank you Jesus for a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Great getting these updates and learning how God is blessing your outreach.

    ReplyDelete