Saturday, May 28, 2022

Travel indignities

Once I got settled into my room around 12.30 am Saturday after about 30 hours of travel, it was time for a hot shower. I got the right mix of hot and cold and turned the valve to redirect the flow from the faucet to the shower head. Nothing. No matter how I twisted the head or adjusted things, nothing. Anyone who has flown to the other side of the world will tell you that no matter how many times you freshened up on the plane or in airports,  there is a special kind of travel grunge only a hot shower can cure. What to do? I put my shampoo and soap on the hard shower floor tile, got down on my hands and knees and made the best of it! It was not easy but I felt blessed anyway.  Many people where we will be serving make do with far less and struggle just to have clean drinking water. I've learned on these trips over the years that situations that were no fun at the time often make the funniest stories and can be teaching moments. My team and Catherine were amused over breakfast.  It looked like it would not be fixed until Monday and the nuns wanted me to change rooms. I didn't because I have 2 power outlets and will be able to help keep clinic equipment charged up every night. Somehow, the handyman came Saturday afternoon when I was longing for a nap and managed to fix it. He wanted no pay but I gave him $10 and we both praised God for each other. Another new Kenyan rafiki which means friend.  Thank you Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your service & thank you for sharing your stories. Wow…showers, multiple electrical outlets-certainly something we take so for granted! God be with you all.

    ReplyDelete