Friday, May 27, 2022

Made it from Houston to Frankfurt

I want to thank my brothers and sisters who have called to pray over me and the team. You know who you are. It means a lot to us.  And thanks to Pastor Kevin for all of the behind the scenes planning and support he gives to the project.  We dearly wish he could be with us, I’m hopeful it will work out next time.  Also, thanks to all of you who have contributed to us in time,  talent and treasure.  It truly is a team effort. 
The Parsons and the Glienkes picked me up as planned about 9am today even though we knew our flight would be about an hour late.  We stopped in Brenham for a rest stop and most of us took the opportunity to have some Blue Bell ice cream as is our tradition.  Yancy dropped us off at Terminal D with our luggage and went to park the truck. We met up with Sandra, Ken, Anthony and Tressie and got all 36 or so pieces together. Lufthansa sent out an email overnight and I missed one detail.  They lowered the weight limit for carry-on luggage from 26 to 18 pounds. Sandra and Ken each graciously took a camera lens from me and I put my laptop, camera bodies and a few other items in a cloth shopping bag for a personal item to stow under my seat. I prayed over the team for easy travel and an effective mission and we then made it through security in record time except one glitch. I had TSA PreCheck and was doing great til I told them I have an artificial hip. I was sent to a different scanner and then patted down and scanned for explosives. Wow!
We met after the security check and had lunch at Hugo’s,  a pretty decent Mexican restaurant. We ordered our meals using a phone app by scanning a QR code and also paid via phone. Pretty efficient! I was hungry, so anything would have tasted good!  We waited about 3 hours before boarding, which also went well. 
I’m writing this on my phone from the plane as we just passed Shreveport. The captain said we have a strong tailwind and should make up lost time.  The beverage service is coming, it will be fun with a surgical mask!
Dinner is beginning to be served around 6:15pm Houston time. The special meals are arriving meaning the masses will be fed shortly. The regular meal consisted of pasta, a roll and butter, a piece of cheddar cheese, a saltiness and a chocolate dessert. It wasn’t great but it was filling. It was also nice to remove my mask for a little while. 
I sat next to an Indian woman on her way to Mumbai with her 12 year old son  She’s a professor in San Antonio. I told her about our mission and we talked about traffic between San Antonio and Austin among other topics.
I got some sleep on the flight but not nearly as much as I wanted.  It’s difficult in a mask. It looks like we’ll be 25 minutes late getting into Frankfurt,  so we’ll only have maybe two hours to clear security and catch our flight to Nairobi.   It’s always a scramble.  I hope it’s as easy as Houston was.
We got to Frankfurt and navigated to our gate. Two flight of steps down, a shuttle bus and then 2 flights up, carrying our stuff the whole way! We will make our flight with about 45 minutes to spare. No security check here, I was surprised. I better post this while I have wifi. Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment