Friday, May 27, 2022

Frankfurt to Nairobi

We took two flights of steps down to a shuttle to our plane, an Airbus A330-300, and then climbed up into the plane. We certainly got our exercise and my artificial hip passed the audition!
We’re masked up again, I hope it won’t be required on our return flights in a couple of weeks.  I’m getting hungry so I hope lunch is shortly after takeoff. Our breakfast on the previous flight was a fruit cup, granola bar and some inedible veggie burrito thing. I thought I’d never say this, but British Air has serious competition from Lufthansa for worst food in the sky. It’s too bad, my previous experiences with them have been very good. 
The flight is fairly full but not nearly as much as the last one. We just pulled away from the terminal and it looks like this leg of our journey will be on time. 
While I  had wifi at the airport,  I was able to let Catherine know we’re on the way and she was able to confirm our safari and other plans for Saturday. 
A little way into the flight, we were served lunch which was a repeat of the pasta with tomato sauce we had yesterday.  Filling but some variety would be welcomed. 
I was able to get some sleep and I remembered that I got distracted getting to our flight and forgot my daily meds, which includes doxycycline for malaria prevention.  I downed my pills around 3pm and will get back on track tomorrow morning.  Actually,  3pm is 7am at home, so I wasn’t too late.
We will be given dinner about an hour before touchdown.  I hope it’s worthy of being written about!
Once we’re at the airport in Nairobi,  if things haven’t changed, we will first go through the process of presenting our electronic visas and Covid related paperwork in order to be allowed into the country. We will then collect our luggage and it will be x-rayed on our way out. Several of us have supplies or equipment for the vision clinic. I have an official government document stating that our clinic is sanctioned,  so maybe I won’t have to pay too much “duty” on our stuff.
Catherine will have a truck waiting to put our baggage in and we will ride to Little Daughters and check in with the exception of two of our group that will need to take rapid Covid tests. Catherine will stay with them and personally bring them to our lodging. It will be a short night, breakfast a little after 6am and we’ll be on the road to our Saturday activities by 6.30.
We got through customs but the xray machine was broken and we were torn apart. Waiting on Yancy to pay duty for a bag or leave it behind. It has school supplies in it.  Catherine is going to try to negotiate.  It’s  after 10pm and we're still at airport.  I love international travel!
Thank you,  Jesus for travel mercies.

3 comments:

  1. I assume the ‘customs duty’ is at the discretion of, and into the pockets of, the customs officials rather than the government

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the updates. Prayers continue for safety and God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave for sharing your trip with us. I can travel without leaving the comfort of our home..

    ReplyDelete