Sunday, June 4, 2023

The last flight home

We boarded our Airbus 350 on time and pulled away from the gate on schedule. After about an hour in the air, it looks like we'll be about 20 minutes early. Perhaps the jetstream is not as strong today. My last couple of experiences going through Customs in Austin have been good, but claiming bags has not. I'm hopeful both processes will go well. I did receive word that my friend Rudy will be able to pick me up and drive me home. Another little thing to be thankful for!

Lunch is being served.  I have to say that the food on British Air has been pretty good. Our choices this meal were between cheesy pasta and chicken, rice and corn. I selected the latter since I had pasta last night on the trip to London.  It was pretty good. We ate well on the whole trip,  I'm curious to see what my scale will say tomorrow.  Maybe "Ouch!" 

After lunch, I  got a bit more sleep. I didn't want to overdo it though, I need to try to get back to my normal routine as soon as possible.  In the past, it took a few days to get it right and to feel rested.

I've had interesting seat mates on this plane. I'm on the aisle,  next me is a European named Peter who was raised Catholic but claims to be non-spiritual and a Hindu computer chip engineer named Raj. We've had plenty of time to joke around,  get to know about each other and discuss some of the deepest questions concerning the meaning of life. They respected my world view and I sought to understand theirs. I exchanged cards with Peter, he lives on Pflugerville,  and may continue the conversation over lunch soon. You never know where things may go when you strike up a conversation,  but I'm convinced the further along I get in my walk of faith that these encounters are not coincidental but part of His perfect plan.

About an hour until touchdown in Austin. Good flight, food and snacks were OK and I got some rest here and there.  

Landed early at 3:30 pm, waited for about 15 minutes for luggage and shot through security.  My friend Rudy picked me up and had me home at 5:10. Very thankful for how well travel went even with the late start in Kenya. 

Will post after the fact about how entering the country went. More small vignettes from the clinic and other of our activities are also in store. Until then, thanks for following along and praying for us. Blessings!






No comments:

Post a Comment