Sunday, June 4, 2023

From Nairobi to London

Nairobi Game Park 

After having a chicken salad sandwich and soda that British Air provided, I made my way to a row of reclined chairs, set an alarm on my phone for 30 minutes,  donned my eyeshadow and got some rest from about 10:45 until 11.15 pm. I can't say I slept well since the constant sounds of a large airport and announcements prevented that, but I was somewhat refreshed. This resting section is part of the newer area of the departure terminal which had been destroyed by fire several years ago. It features nice shops, good restaurants and modern bathrooms. I found Elizabeth and some of our friends from Trinity-Klein Lutheran Church at a large table in a pub and spent time with them before going to our gate around midnight. There was a double security check to enter the gate area and it had to be 95 degrees F in there. No water, no restrooms but you could leave if you were willing to run the security gauntlet again. In the past, once you were at the gate, you were stuck. Ever since at least 911, security has been very tight at the Nairobi airport.  When Catherine's brother Paul drove us in, we had to get out of his van and go through a metal detector while the vehicle was also scanned. Once we were dropped off, another scan of us and our luggage was performed just to get in the door. After our boarding passes were issued, we went through another check to enter the terminal area. And finally, the double check to get to our gate. I didn't feel a lot more secure, I think the first scan to enter the building should have been sufficient.  Since I have an artificial hip,  I also got to be thrilled three times with a pat-down.  It was the most fun I've had in years! Five redundant security checks: I can only conclude that full employment is the goal.

It felt good to enter the gangway as we boarded the plane, since the outside temperature was 65 degrees F. Even the Kenyans,  who tend to be cold all the time, were remarking how good it felt after over an hour of stifling heat. I wonder if the Geneva Convention has anything to say about airport terminal torture!

I am writing this as we are about an hour and a half from London.  I got some pretty good sleep on this leg of the trip. The staff made sure all window shades were closed and my trusty eyeshade really helped. My next story will hopefully be of making it onto the direct flight to Austin. If my baggage doesn't make it, I really don't care at this point in this long running saga! More in the next installment.  Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment