Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Wednesday was a big day at both clinics

Pastor Kevin and his team at Pipeline saw over 600 patients today while we had nearly 500.  We had a little hiccup in the morning when there was a peaceful demonstration in our neighborhood and out of an abundance of caution, the police shut down the road coming into our clinic for about an hour.  We were never in any danger and I made friends with a few of the officers while they kept us safe from anything getting out of hand.  Our gracious hosts from the Lutheran Church in Waithaka fed us with a Kenyan dish called Pilau that had rice and meat in it.  It was very tasty and also very filling.  I may gain some weight on this trip that will need to be lost upon my return to Austin!  We have a young 12 year old boy named Noah Okello, the son of my friend and evangelist Thomas, who was instrumental in the coming to Christ of four people today.  He is a joy to be around and only wants to talk about Jesus all day long.  I asked him who Jesus is and he said "my Lord and savior."  I asked who else and he responded with "King of Kings".  I asked if he was also Mighty Counselor and he said "yes".  All told, we went through about 30 Biblical names for Christ and he knew them all.  When I wondered if he wants to be a Pastor, he said "No, I want to be like Jeremiah!"  Wow...

We had a nice dinner after the clinic and shared more stories.  I told about Noah and about an elderly woman that came to the clinic to have bandages removed after we had sent her for cataract surgery the previous day.  When she opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was Will Bach, my team member and friend standing right in front of her.  He's a big guy and she must have thought she had seen Sasquatch or Yeti, because she yelled out "It didn't work!"  We've already gotten a lot of laughs from that story, but imagine the culture shock she must have had.  And don't worry, Will has a great sense of humor and loves this one!

We're beginning to run out of some of our supplies and my team is making distance glasses for both teams and some lens and frame combinations are getting pretty low.  We hope to restock on what we need rapidly.  At the very worst, any order we can't fill will result in the patient getting a prescription for what they need.

Well, it's about time for bed here.  We make sure we get our rest and try to stay hydrated in order to serve others in the best way possible.  Blessings everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment