Monday, May 21, 2018

Lots of preparations during last few days in Austin

After 17 trips to Kenya, I have long ago developed a two page checklist of all the important things that need doing before leaving and a very detailed list of what you pack.  One old timer years ago, on one of my first trips gave me some sage advice.  He said "If you haven't used something in three trips, never bring it again, with one exception.  A rain poncho!"  Truer words were never spoken, it has helped me to travel lighter and lighter each time, but when you REALLY need a rain poncho, you REALLY need one.  Some of the afternoon rains in Nairobi make a Texas gully washer (or do you say frog strangler?) look like a spring shower.

I spent most of today running to various stores for last minute items like medications, snacks for the trip, a new safari shirt, some hiking shoes that should stand up to the rigors of Kenya and other things.  I have made Amazon very happy for the past month since losing a backpack full of camera gear.  I've gotten almost daily shipments of one little gadget or another.  I am back to being in pretty good shape for the trip, with two very good Nikon camera bodies and Sigma lenses for wildlife photography for after the vision clinic ends.  One lens and camera combo will also be good for typical tourist travel pictures too.

I have also been in regular contact with our dear friend Catherine Wangari as we have nailed down various details for the two clinics we will be conducting, lodging, drivers, transportation logistics, local doctors, where we will worship Sunday and many, many more items.  We couldn't be nearly as effective without the support of Catherine and Gloria Sauck, our incredible nurse/missionary in Kenya who handles much of the health end of our project, dealing with community and government agencies. 

Well, I have to get back to working on my checklist!  Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment