Sunday, November 8, 2015

Travel from Amsterdam to Nairobi

We left Schiphol a little late due to a very full flight and how long it took to get everyone boarded.  A 747 holds a LOT of people.  The Captain assured us he would make up any lost time if he could.  It looks like our choice for lunch will be between some kind of chicken dish and a vegetarian pasta and rice.  I’m sure either will be good.  Our only other hurdle that I can foresee right now is getting Kevin into Kenya based on his receipt from the online system.  We’re hoping the worst scenario is that he gets stuck for cash for an entry visa as we go through immigration.  Our plan right now is for him to go through first, so I’ll know what his status is before I get out to the baggage claim area.  If he has problems, I’ll get his baggage claim tickets in the unlikely event one of the footlockers he checked doesn’t make it today. 

Once lunch is over, I have a strong hunch I’ll get a little more shuteye.  It will be good to get to whatever lodging we have tonight and be able to lay down on a bed.  Sleeping sitting up on a plane is not the most restful slumber you’ll ever get, but it does help some.

I was right, I got a little more rest and have now had a cup of black coffee and really need to stay awake from here on in if I am going to stand a chance of sleeping tonight in Kenya.  We’re about 4 hours from touchdown in Nairobi.  I’ve gotten to the point that I can usually get acclimated to the 9 hour time difference by about the 2nd or 3rd night of a trip, with all of the craziness this time, it might be Monday or Tuesday night before I settle in to the new routine.  I’ve always found it easier to battle jet lag when you are going on vacation or a mission trip because you have to do what you came to do.  When you go back to your everyday life, it’s a little harder to find the motivation to do whatever it takes.  I guess it’s just human nature.

It’s finally beginning to sink in that we’re really going to get to our destination and see our old friends once again, working side by side as we provide eye care to the community around the Lutheran Church in the slum of Kawangware.  We’ve always been able to give blessings by what we do and the blessings we receive each time are pretty amazing.  I know there will be some great moments for each of us, the anticipation of just what they might be this time is always fun.  We’ll be surprised, that’s for sure.


With about 3 hours to go, the crew served us real Belgian ice cream and it rivaled Blue Bell.  Very good, a swirl of vanilla with chocolate sauce marbled right into it.  And it was very hard.  Of course, with an outside air temperature of -56 F they probably have a super duper freezer somewhere on our 747!  With about 2 hours to go, we had our final meal of pizza, a side with alternative slices of tomato and some kind of white, soft cheese and tiramisu.  Eat your heart out British Air!  It’s getting near the time I need to put the laptop up, plus I’m down to only about 15% of a battery charge.  There’s only one thing carriers with newer fleets have that KLM doesn’t yet, and that’s power taps under the seats and USB in the seats to keep laptops, phones and tablets charged up.  Oh, and no wifi on these flights this time.  No big deal, I write the blog in Word and copy and paste into the blog online as I can.  Anyway, given the choice, I’ll go for the better food!  More to follow in the days ahead.  Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment