Saturday, November 7, 2015

Dave and Kevin's Excellent Adventure

Practice makes perfect.  We drove down to Houston once again Friday morning for another attempt at getting to Nairobi. We had to drive separately, since Pastor Kevin has a wedding and is returning to Austin starting next Thursday night.  Since we were unsure of whether Kevin would be allowed to fly on KLM without an issued Kenyan evisa (he did have a receipt), we had arranged the 4 footlockers such that if I was going by myself, I would be taking 2 footlockers with the most critical supplies like frames for distance glasses and Gospel tracts for clinic patients.  What a difference a day can make.  I felt like we were in the movie Groundhog Day, as we repeated the process from Thursday.  The same personnel were at the counter and were just as friendly, since KLM and Air France are partner airlines.  They recognized us and were sorry for our delay.  They had even given me a 50% off voucher for a hotel if I had wanted to stay in Houston Thursday night attempting to procure my visa.  We had both decided to go back to Austin instead, since there was no guarantee the buggy visa system would work any better at a hotel.  They commiserated with us about the wasted round trip we had made.  It proved to have been a good move, since I was able to use my Photoshop skills at my home office to fine tune the photos required for the visa application and mine had finally gone through at 3am Friday.

Another similarity to Thursday was that Kevin and I had the same clothes as before.  No, we weren’t beginning to smell funny.  We had each done laundry the night before.  I have a new lucky red shirt I am trying out on this trip and figured the bad Karma of Thursday couldn’t last.  I retired my old lucky red shirt after it let me down and we wound up in Istanbul on my 13th trip last June.  It lived a good long life, but it was time for it to be put out to pasture.

Anyway, we sailed through check-in, without even being asked about the evisas.  This made it very plain to me that Air France just didn’t have a grasp of the options available in Nairobi and didn’t care to go the extra mile to find out.  Rules are rule, zero tolerance means you don’t have to think.  New day, new airline, same personnel, different rules.  We left the check-in counter with everybody on both sides of it smiling.  I can say that while we were upset by the circumstances Thursday, we didn’t throw a tantrum or play the “Don’t you know who I am?” card so common these days but handled it in a loving Christian way.  The staff encouraged us both days in doing the human care mission work they knew we were on our way to do.

We also got through security without a hitch and I had just enough time to grab a sandwich and some waters for each of us before boarding our KLM flight.  Dinner was a choice between vegetarian pasta with rice and cheese or Korean beef with rice and candied carrots.  I got the beef, it was very good.  I watched the movie Minions, I love how creative this series is, and it’s as much for adults as kids.  Sandra Bullock’s voice acting as the evil Scarlet was superb.  I got some good sleep and am writing this as we are about 2 hours from Amsterdam and about to eat once again.  They have already brought hot towels for our hands and faces, a nice touch.

Breakfast was also good, a cheese omelet with sausage, a biscuit and mixed fruit salad.  We often fly the partnership of British Air and American on these missions.  They don’t know anything about food compared to KLM and Air France! 

I got a fair amount of sleep on this first leg of our journey, which is exactly what we try to do.  It helps in adjusting to the 9 hour difference when we get to Nairobi.  We have about 3 hours between flights in Amsterdam, I expect about an hour of that will be deplaning, getting through security and boarding of the next flight, so I should have time to post this if I can get onto the wifi at the airport.  If all goes well, we will arrive in Nairobi around 8:15pm local time and it usually takes about an hour to get through customs and immigration.  Please pray that Pastor Kevin doesn’t hit any visa snags.  We’re not sure where we’ll be staying, but we will worship with the rest of our team at the church in Kawangware where we will be serving this week.  That’s always a great experience, more to follow about that when it occurs.

We did talk to Dr. Zoch while we were going through check-in in Houston.  The team was already on their way to their lodgings at a convent we have used in the past, The Little Daughters of St. Joseph.  All were well and their trip was without incident.  I guess Kevin and I got all the drama this time!

We arrived at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam a little after 7am and were pleasantly surprised that we didn’t have to go through any additional security checks like in London or Paris.  Sweet!  Looks like we get most of our 3 hour layover to spend in one of coolest airports in the world.  I’m drinking a medium black coffee that was 3.45 euros, not sure of the exchange rate but I’m guessing it’s a 5 dollar cup of coffee.  It’s good, but not THAT good!  I’m going to spend the time after posting this blog doing my 365 Day Photo Challenge picture for today on Facebook and letting friends and relatives that may not be following the blog that so far, everything is good.  Stay tuned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment