Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Enroute to New York JFK

American couldn't get me an aisle seat for this flight, but I'm having a great time anyway. I met a nice young woman named Isabel that just graduated with a law degree from the University of Texas and is traveling back to her native Argentina. She will be representing the people as a defense attorney. We compared notes and she too must bring gifts for friends and family.  We talked about different cultures and the mission trip. I really don't believe in coincidences or accidents too much anymore, I think the Lord is always in the midst of these "chance" encounters. 

On my other side, a young father and mother from India were traveling with small daughter and I helped entertain the older one. The toddler bounced back and forth between joy and blood-curdling wailing. The joys of travel.

Our team is doing a good job of staying hydrated,  an hour into the flight we have all heeded nature's call. It's important  to be drink, drink, drinking all the time since long distance air travel dries you out and we will be staying at a mile high or more during our stay in Nairobi.  Thirst under these conditions is a lagging indicator. By the time you thirst, you are already behind the curve. It's particularly important in my case, since I developed a vein bruise or  persistent blood clots in my left leg last summer. It could have been partially due to the flights on last year's mission to Waithaka, or a 3200 mile road trip in late July for my high school reunion or perhaps my 3rd Covid shot. Whatever the cause, I've been on an expensive blood thinner for 10 months and regular venous Doppler studies show no improvement. Also, I have a history of kidney stones so I'm drinking at least 3 liters of water per day under normal circumstances to prevent more of them. I'm trying for a little more than that on this trip. That's a lot of water! A big benefit is stretching when I need to get up and keeping blood flowing through that leg. I'm wearing compression socks also as a preventative measure. 

The choices for food for purchase on this flight were big snack packs or a couple of kinds of salad in a jar. I got an Asian chicken salad and it wasn't bad other than being $11. They did bring some free pretzels, cookies and a choice of water or soft drinks. I know we won't eat again until we've taken off for London,  so I am thankful for salad in a jar with a screw off lid. I do have some granola bars and peanuts in my carry-on,  but this was something different. 

About a other hour and a half til New York and I'm streaming live TV on the free wireless on the plane. There is power for every seat and USB as well, so my phone is topped off! They have the new larger cargo bins overhead. You put your carry-on in wheels first and then tip it up on it's side. Plenty of room for everybody.  I read about the guy who invented this, an engineer who was frustrated when he had to check his carry-on.  Many 737s like this one have been retrofitted. I'm sure the cabin crews like it! More to follow as I am able.



No comments:

Post a Comment