Friday, May 26, 2017

From London to Nairobi

I wrote this on the plane:

We are about 6 hours from Nairobi as I write this, onboard a British Airways Boeing 747.  It’s an older plane, as was our 777 from Houston to London.  Neither of the planes this time around had USB or power outlets, a very nice convenience on long journeys.  However, I always come prepared and have a power brick my brother gave me a couple of years ago that is good for about 6 full charges on my phone.  It’s a lifesaver! 

I’m working on a laptop that I’m going to give to my friend Barrack at the end of the trip.  He has been a real blessing to the Nairobi area with his ministry for the street youth.  Over the years, I’ve mentored him in photography.  He has a real natural eye for beauty.  A couple of years ago, I gave him a hard time about having a dirty screen on his laptop.  He went crazy with window cleaner on it and some got down into the computer, frying it.  He uses laptops and cameras to promote his ministry, so this was a crushing blow and I felt terrible that I was at least indirectly responsible for his predicament.  I brought him a better refurbished laptop on our next mission trip and all was well for the time being.  Then, last fall, he was the photographer at a wedding, supplementing his income.  I had taught him to always have a backup camera at weddings or other once in a lifetime events, since if a camera failed, it was all over.  So, he had rented an expensive camera and he had both cameras, the laptop and his nice smartphone in his backpack as he left the wedding.  The worst happened.  He was held up at gunpoint and lost everything.  He is currently paying the camera rental shop back and has only had an inferior smartphone to document and publicize his ministry since then.  He also lost all of the wedding pictures.  What a shame!  I’ve moved into a more powerful laptop for my photography and other business needs, so I’m handing a very good laptop with a touchscreen down and am also going to supply him with a good Nikon  P600 superzoom camera to get him back on his feet again.  It’s the least I can do.  He will be joining us for a couple of photo safaris on this trip and hopes to help some with our clinic as well.  It will be good to see him again.  Friendships like this result from our mission philosophy of doing short term missions with long term commitment.  Everyone is blessed so much more than when you perform a one and done mission, leaving the people you served wondering if they did something to keep you from coming back or what.  I know that I have lifelong friends halfway around the world because of our persistent efforts with the vision clinics.  Thank you, Jesus!

Our time at Heathrow couldn’t have gone much smoother, with the exception of needing to take a bus to Terminal 3 from Terminal 5.  We went right through security and it didn’t seem much tighter than normal except when an agent pulled me off to the side and swabbed both of my sneakers and ran it through an explosive detecting machine.  I don’t know if my feet smelled funny or what, but I was soon waved through.

We had coffee at an Italian coffee shop and the ladies shopped for a little while at Harrod’s next door.  Our gate assignment was announced promptly at 9:30am as promised, which is not the usual case, and we had plenty of time to get to our flight.  We boarded and took off right on schedule.  We should arrive around 9pm Nairobi time, go through immigration and customs checks and then ride to Little Daughters of St. Joseph, the convent where we will spend the first 2 nights.  This time, we don’t have any of the big red footlockers that tip off the security people to our medical supplies, usually triggering an inspection and tariffs, taxes, fees or bribes to exchange hands.  We hope to blend in with the other tourists.  We’ve been able to do this because we are now storing most of our inventory with Catherine in Nairobi and replenishing much of it within the local economy. We only brought about half of a footlocker of supplies this time and split it up among our suitcases.  Here’s hoping we shoot right through.  I expect to be showered and in bed by midnight.  If the past is any guide, I may get 4 hours of on and off sleep.

We will breakfast around 7:30 and be on the road by 8am for a photo safari at Lake Naivasha.  This is the place where we take a boat ride on a river filled with hippos and then motor out to an island for a walk with the animals including giraffes, zebras, water buffalo, water bucks, elands and others.  I’m trally looking forward to it, since I know Diane and Elena won’t fully comprehend that they are in Africa until they spot their first giraffe!

More to follow at day’s end Saturday.  We will be 8 hours ahead of Austin, so if I post something at say 8pm, it will be available at noon in Austin.  Blessings everybody! 

No comments:

Post a Comment