Saturday, November 5, 2016

Arrival in Nairobi and Saturday happenings

We got to Nairobi at 8:30, right on time.  Our trip through Immigration and Customs was relatively uneventful, as was our ride to Rosa Mystica, where Ralph, Dora and I will be staying all week. We were unloaded and in our rooms by around 11:15pm.  I took a hot shower to freshen up and got about 4 hours of sleep.  I had a barking dog outside my window, a nightclub nearby was loud and a rooster began to crow at about 5:45 this morning.  I should do better tonight.

We had a good safari at the Game Park, it was the first time I have brought my big Sigma 150-600mm lens and my new Nikon D500.  They performed very well together and we got pictures of all the usual suspects.  I also have my Nikon D7200 and a Sigma 18-300 lens for wider angle shots.  The one thing I am missing is a Ziploc bag with my spare batteries in it.  Both cameras usually last all day, and I do have a charger with me, but I hate not having extra batteries just in case.

We had a nice lunch at the Veranda, where I had fried prawns and chips, which is British for shrimp and fries.  It was very good.  After lunch, we headed back to our lodgings and I got a little nap before we had a nice worship service with the other teams at 5:30, followed by dinner at 7pm.  Many of our friends from Nairobi were there, it was a joyful evening.  I'll be heading to bed soon, it's almost 10pm here.  DST will not effect our time her, but the change will make us 9 hours ahead of Austin time rather than 8 hours by tomorrow morning.  We have to keep this in mind when we phone home.

I'll have more about our comings and goings tomorrow after a full day of church, lunch. scouting out the clinic location, buying team supplies and finally having dinner in the evening.

I am writing this using an Internet connection to a hotspot I bought on Amazon from an outfit called Skyroam.  The device works in 75 countries and you don't need a SIM card to use it.  The various SIM settings are programmed in and they are adding more countries by the day.  Basically, you buy the device for about $100 and it includes 3 days worth of usage.  You use 24 hours at a time and can buy more at either $10 per day or a 5 day pass for $40.  It uses the cel phone network to get Internet and the data is unlimited usage.  It's fairly quicky, you wouldn't want to stream a movie on it or upload massive amounts of pictures, but it works almost anywhere and lasts 8 hours on a charge or you can plug it in via a USB cable.  5 people or devices can use it at once.  I'm field testing it to see if I like it and so far, so good for those days where you aren't near good wifi.  It's about the size of a pack of cigarretes.

That's it for now, it's been a very blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. MUBER takes delivery services to the next level in Nairobi. Having a reliable, safe, fast and affordable provider is all you need for your personal or professional deliveries in Nairobi. With a large fleet of motorbikes and a professional team of riders we are here to serve you 24/7 professional deliveries in nairobi

    ReplyDelete