Friday, June 1, 2018

The clinics finish with a bang

In spite of or because of the national holiday, both clinics did well, each seeing over 500 people.  My clinic saw about 2,250 patients during the week and Kevin's treated a little over 2500.  A very good week indeed for out combined totals.  I had a very pleasant surprise this afternoon.  Around lunch time, one of my local friends came to me and said I had a very special visitor.  When I went outside, it was Catherine's mother, Mama.  She had brought lunch for me and my team.  A special Kikuyu tribe dish called mukimo.  It was fabulous.  I later found out that it is only served when very important people are visiting.  What a high honor that she cherishes me so much, I love Mama!  And my team and many of our volunteers enjoyed it and the bananas and another dish she brought.  It was wonderful spending time with her, even if I had to speak through an interpreter.  But smiles and hugs need no interpretation.  We also got her an exam of her eyes by our doctors, I made sure she was in the express lane the whole way!  I am so blessed.

I had Alison help me order pizza and drinks for the team tonight from Domino's and it was a reasonable facsimile of what I would expect in the States except for no little red pepper packets.  After we ate, we had a short team meeting about the details of heading out for the safaris in the morning.  Breakfast at 6:30 and we hit the road by 7 am for a 6 hour drive out to the Masai Mara. More to come about our after trip if I have an Internet connection, otherwise, I'll continue to write and post the blog as I am able.  Thanks be to God for a most productive mission and for bringing us together as friends with the very hospitable Kenyan people.  I always feel right at home here.

Blessings, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment