Friday, May 13, 2016

Flight to Heathrow

Our 747-400 pulled away from Terminal 7 right on time. We are waiting to take off as I start to write this.  We all made calls to loved ones and friends in the minutes leading up to boarding. This plane is huge, with the characteristic hump up front housing a second story of first class seats.   It is also pretty outdated on the inside. Our previous plane had USB plugs and power taps for every seat and an on demand entertainment system plus roomier seats. None of these amenities is on this flight. Not really a problem since this is the flight we will try to get the most sleep on after dinner is served.

There's a large group of French teens on the flight, I'm guessing they have been on a field trip to the States.  Now that we're air borne, all 5 of them are swapping seats at once. Quite a sight to behold. I'll try to talk to one of the adults to get the story.

The dinner choice was chicken or vegetarian pasta. Some things never change.  I had the chicken and it did fill me up. I did manage to get quite a bit of sleep, our early start and the long layover in New York wore me out.  We are currently in a holding pattern since Heathrow doesn't open until 7 am and the whole world arrives at the same time.  This can  make For long delays in security. Our 3 hour or less layover in London is barely enough sometimes. I'm hoping for the best but ready for the worst.

I was able to determine that the youth group was indeed from France and had spent a week in New York.  The parents are heroes in my book! The kids were typical, full of energy and fun, but well behaved and polite. It is good to see them have the opportunity to travel at a young age.

More to follow after whatever our experience at Heathrow turns out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment