Saturday, May 30, 2015

Saturday at the Nairobi Game Park and the rest of our day

When we got done freshening up a bit at Rosa Mystica, it was pretty apparent that the trip out to Lake Naivasha was out of the question.  First, it’s a nearly 3 hour round trip and we didn’t want to cut the photo safari short.  Second, it was raining in Nairobi and there had been plentiful rain lately at Naivasha, meaning we probably wouldn’t be able to walk around with the animals on the island, a highpoint of that trip when it’s possible.  So, we decided to go to the Nairobi National Game Park near the airport on the outskirts of town and I’m glad we did.  While it remained overcast, we never really got ourselves or our camera gear wet in the two popup vans we took, four to a van.  We saw all the usual giraffes, water buffalo, various elans, antelopes, gazelles, zebras, etc as well as many bird species I know I’ll spend hours identifying.  We also had a couple of firsts for me.  A python laying across the road blocked our way for quite a while until Jackson stirred it into slithering back into the grass by throwing some small pebbles its way.  We also saw a large turtle walking down the side of the road and he was making decent time for a turtle!  I took over 600 pictures, I’m sure the group has a couple thousand more and I will post some as bandwidth allows, meaning maybe not until we are back in the states and I spend a week or two culling through all of our images from this mission trip to narrow things down to the top 300-400 shots as usual.  I’m sure there are some stunners.  I got several of Ibises in flight and we saw a tree full of Superb Starlings, very colorful birds indeed.  Stay tuned for that.

After the safari, we returned once again to Rosa Mystica for a little freshening up and then made our way to the Junction Mall across the street and ate at the food court.  Many of us had various kinds of pizza and William had Chinese food that looked pretty good.  Afterwards, those uof us without our luggage did some shopping for underwear, socks, toiletries and the like and decided to stay clear of stocking up on clothes like shirts and pants and have faith that our baggage would actually get here Sunday.  I rinsed my stuff in the shower and am wearing damp clothes as I write this early Sunday morning.  Ah, the glamorous life of the missionary!


We will be having breakfast here shortly and will head over to Kibera to the Springs of Life Lutheran Church for worship.  I know the newcomers will be blown away by the presence of the Holy Spirit at these services.  I’m looking forward to it myself.  More to follow as time permits!  Blessings on your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment