Wednesday, April 28, 2010

4/28/2010 Final checklists and packing

We finally head 'em on out tomorrow morning.  Everything is ready for final packing and checklists are being double-checked.  When you travel as light as we do, you don't want to forget that one essential item that will make life a little easier and you also don't want to take anything you won't need.  One of the guys on the leader's pre-trip in March has a rule that if you take something on 3 trips in a row and don't use it, it doesn't go again.  The support that our team has received from family, friends, church and community has been wonderful.  Even if this particular type of evangelism and the way we are showing the love of Jesus in the form of freely meeting the vision needs of the Kibera community isn't something my acquaintances would ever do in a million years, nearly everyone I encounter has had a word of encouragement. 

I've been pondering what I will do for our daily devotions on this trip.  Of course, we always encourage everyone on the team that would like to lead a devotion to do so.  As for me, I've almost got too many ideas, but I know that my devotions will be focused in one way or another on following the example that Christ left us in caring for people both physically and spiritually.  Whether building churches in Mexico, helping with hurricane disaster relief near Galveston or working in Kenya, we normally have a devoton over breakfast just for our team and then one in the evening after dinner that usually involves reflecting on the situations and people that God placed in our path that day.  While we always base these sessions on Scripture, the variety of perspectives and personal stories is always something I look forward to.  It's one of my favorite parts of any mission trip.  I'm hoping to also lead some of the devotions at the church before we start work each morning.  Last fall, Pastor Kevin would lead them for the team and the 40 or so local church workers and volunteers in Kawangware.  He did a very nice job of using Mark's Gospel as a basis for them.  I may follow his lead in this regard.  Time will tell whether Pastor Dennis or the local congregational leaders will have a plan of their own for morning devotions, worship and praise or not.   Either way, I'm going to stand at the ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment